Turkey Tater Tot Casserole
This Turkey Tater Tot Casserole is a lightened up version of the traditional Tater Tot Hotdish. Using deliciously seasoned ground turkey and Alexia Seasoned Taters Tots you’ll have the best weeknight dish the entire family will enjoy.
Tater Tot Hotdish is my husbands favorite nostalgic dish. His Grandma made this for him every time he’d visit and she’d even make a extra for him to take home with him. I am happy to say this lightened up turkey tater tat casserole is husband and toddler approved.
Why you'll love this recipe
- This turkey tater tot casserole uses minimal ingredients.
- Both kids and adults will love this recipe.
- This dish has 27.3 grams of protein per serving.
- This recipe has well rounded macros and is easily customizable to fit yours!
What is Turkey Tater Tot Casserole?
This is a take on the well known Tater Tot Hotdish or casserole. Instead of using ground beef this recipe uses turkey with additional seasonings and spices to make it a easy and flavorful dish. Typically in a casserole you’ll find meat, potatoes, vegetables and cheese. I left out vegetables in this dish to be the tried and true grandma copycat but you can add your favorite vegetables.
Can you use other meats beside turkey?
Yes, this turkey tater tot casserole would be great with any ground meet like chicken, turkey, beef or pork.
What size casserole dish should you use?
I am using a 12 inch cast iron skillet for this recipe so that it’s easily one pan to oven. If you do not have a oven safe pan you can transfer it to a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and then add on your cheese and tater tots for this turkey tater tot casserole.
How to lower the fat per serving
If you need to lower the fat in each serving use a reduced fat cheese or omit the cheese altogether. Reduced fat cheese will not melt as well but will save some calories and grams of fat per serving in this turkey tater tot casserole.
Ingredients and Substitutes:
These are the main ingredients and substitutions. See recipe card below for full ingredients list and instructions for Turkey Tater Tot Casserole.
Ground Turkey: this recipe uses lean 99/1 ground turkey. You can use any percent turkey but the nutrition facts will change. There is no flavor lost in this dish using the lean meat. You can also use ground chicken, beef or pork.
Cream of Mushroom Soup: you’ll use one 10.5 oz. can of 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup. You full fat if you do not mind a higher fat content.
Mesquite Liquid Smoke: the secret ingredients. Do not skip this one! You can find this on amazon linked here or in your local grocery store. This gives the dish a bit of mesquite smokey flavor without overpowering the dish.
Cheddar Cheese: this recipe uses full fat cheddar cheese. You can use pre shredded or shred directly off a block. I would not suggest using low fat as it does not melt as well as full fat but that is entirely up to your preference.
How to make this casserole:
Pre heat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Heat a large cast iron or pan over medium and warm 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Add garlic and chopped onion the oil and cook until fragrant.
Add the raw ground turkey to the dish and break with a spoon into small bite sized pieces. Cook until cooked through.
Once the turkey is cooked through add the cream of mushroom soup, salt, liquid smoke, fresh cracked pepper to taste and mix together well to combine. If using a baking dish transfer this mixture to the dish. If using a cast iron continue with the cast iron.
Top the mixture with 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese. Then arrange the tater tots over the top and top with the second 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.
Place the pan in the oven uncovered and bake for 30-35 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and the tater tots are crispy. Remove from the oven and enjoy!
What to serve with this recipe?
This turkey tater tot casserole is great as a standalone meal. You could also serve with a side salad or roasted vegetables.
Optional add ins:
While this casserole is delicious as is you could also sneak in some vegetables like green beans, peas, carrots and corn.
What is a serving size for this casserole?
Nutrition facts are a estimate. As always, for the most accurate measurement per serving weigh your final dish and divide by the serving amount. My favorite way to do this for a casserole like this Turkey Tater Tot Casserole or Cracked Out Tater Tot Casserole is to weigh the dish you’re using empty before filling. Then weigh the final cooked dish once baked and simply subtract the weight of the dish from the total weight. That gives you the total weight of your meal to divide by servings.
Serving size is approximately 290 grams.
If you like this recipe be sure to check out some of our other easy casseroles!
~ 223 grams
“ohsnapmacros – Turkey Tater Tot Casserole”
Turkey Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 lbs. lean ground turkey 99/1
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp. Mesquite Liquid Smoke
- 1 can 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup 10.5 oz.
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded split in half
- 5 servings Alexia Foods Crispy Seasoned Potato Puffs 420 grams
- Pre heat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat a large cast iron or pan over medium and warm 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Add garlic and chopped onion the oil and cook until fragrant.
- Add the raw ground turkey to the dish and break with a spoon into small bite sized pieces. Cook until cooked through.
- Once the turkey is cooked through add the cream of mushroom soup, salt, liquid smoke, fresh cracked pepper to taste and mix together well to combine. If using a baking dish transfer this mixture to the dish. If using a cast iron continue with the cast iron.
- Top the mixture with 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese. Then arrange the tater tots over the top and top with the second 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Place the pan in the oven uncovered and bake for 30-35 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and the tater tots are crispy. Remove from the oven and enjoy!
- To lower the fat use half the cheese or omit entirely.
- Add vegetables to the turkey mixture prior to topping with cheese and tater tots.
- You can use any tater tots but Alexia Foods seasoned give the turkey a ton of flavor.