Why you'll love this recipe
- This buffalo chicken rice bowl is a meal prep recipe you’ll want to eat throughout the week.
- Loaded with protein, veggies and flavor!
- Using minimal ingredients and pantry staples you can easily prep these rice bowls.
- By combining cauliflower rice and regular rice you can add volume, fiber and lower carbs vs. using the same quantity of solely rice.
How do you meal prep?
For me, meal prepping is essential if I have:
- A busy week ahead
- I am in a deficit trying to cut fat or
- I want to save time in general and not have to last minute decide what to eat or eat out.
When I am meal-prepping for a week I choose 2 recipes to make and alternate for lunches. Ex. this buffalo chicken rice bowl recipe makes 3 servings so I would alternate it throughout the week and have it M/W/F for lunch. I would then add something like High Protein Egg Roll In A Bowl which only has 2 servings and have that for lunch on Tuesday and Thursday. For dinner meal prep I like making things that will guarantee leftovers OR give me leftovers that I can use in other ways. Macro Friendly Chili is great for that since it has a lot of servings and can be chili one night, chili dogs the next or even Chili Cheese Enchiladas!
Homemade creamy buffalo sauce
This buffalo chicken rice bowl recipe uses a homemade creamy buffalo sauce that packs a punch while also adding some extra protein to the bowls with greek yogurt. Using a combination of hot sauce, maple syrup to sweeten it, spices to level it and greek yogurt to cream it it’s the perfectly balanced sauce.
Can I use shredded chicken?
Definitely. You can use chopped chicken breast, shredded or sliced for this buffalo chicken rice bowl recipe. Just be sure to cook the chicken prior to adding the sauce. Alternatively, you can cook the chicken in the instant pot with the hot sauce, syrup and seasonings and add in the greek yogurt after shredding and mixing everything together.
Is this gluten and dairy free?
This buffalo chicken rice bowl is not dairy free since it uses greek yogurt but just substitute with your favorite dairy free alternative like Oatly or Kitehill. Substitute the ranch dressing at the end with your favorite dairy-free ranch, mine is definitely Tessemae’s. This recipe is gluten-free as directed.
Ingredients and Substitutes:
These are the main ingredients and substitutions. See recipe card below for full ingredients list and instructions for this buffalo chicken rice bowl recipe.
Chicken Breast: this recipe uses 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into cubes. You can cube, slice or shred the chicken. You could also use ground chicken if preferred.
Buffalo Sauce: the creamy buffalo sauce is a combination of Franks Red hot (use your favorite hot sauce), Lite Pancake Syrup (I buy the Safeway brand that is 50 cals for 2 tbsp. because it tastes good), garlic powder and 0% nonfat plain greek yogurt.
Buffalo Sauce Substitutes for this buffalo chicken rice bowl recipe
- Franks Red Hot Sauce – your favorite hot sauce!
- Lite Pancake Syrup – honey, 100% pure maple or date paste
- Garlic powder – use fresh
- 0% nonfat plain greek yogurt – I prefer the brand Fage, use any brand of a dairy free alternative like Kitehill or Oatly!
Cauliflower / Basmati Blend: I prefer using a pre riced package of frozen cauliflower rice when meal prepping as it saves a ton of time. This recipe is using a 12 oz bag of cauliflower rice combined with one Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice Basmati, again a huge time saver vs. boiling rice.
- substitute frozen cauliflower with 250 grams of cooked riced cauliflower
- substitute basmati with jasmine, brown rice or your favorite cooked rice to mix with the cauliflower rice
Toppings / Add ins: I think the creamy buffalo flavors is great with green onions, shredded carrots, sliced cucumbers and chopped cherry tomatoes. Don’t forget a drizzle of your favorite ranch or blue cheese dressing. To keep calories low I like using Bolthouse Farms dressings.
How to make this Buffalo Chicken Rice Bowl:
Cook the chicken
Heat a pan over medium, spray with cooking spray and add the cubed chicken. Season with salt and pepper and cook until it is fully cooked through and no longer pink in the center approximately 8-10 minutes.
Make the sauce
While the chicken cooks add all the sauce ingredients to a sauce pan and whisk while boiling to thicken some. Once the chicken is cooked through add the greek yogurt to the sauce and mix until it is fully combined. Pour the sauce into the pan with the chicken and mix to coat.
Mix the rice blend
Cook the cauliflower rice and basmati according to their package instructions. Mix them two together in a bowl and drizzle with some lime juice.
Assemble the bowls
Assemble the buffalo chicken rice bowl with rice blend, cooked buffalo sauce covered chicken, shredded carrots, sliced cucumber, chopped green onions and a drizzle of ranch.
Details below for exact measurements.
Serving size notes!
For meal prep: each buffalo chicken rice bowl gets approximately 140 grams of chicken, 161 grams of rice blend, 1/4 cup shredded carrots, 4 chopped cherry tomatoes, a couple slices of cucumber and chopped green onions. Recipe makes 3 bowls. Top with 1 tbsp. of your favorite ranch (Bolthouse Farms ranch is included in nutrition facts).
As always for the most accurate serving size weigh your final dish and divide by the number of servings.
Bowl nutrition facts are entered into MyFitnessPal and MacrosFirst tracking apps.
Need something sweet after this spicy buffalo chicken rice bowl? Definitely check out my friend Matt’s Oatmeal Cream Pies over at Cheat Day Design! He’s got you covered for all the high protein sweets, just be sure to tell him I sent you.
If you like this recipe be sure to check out some of our other easy recipes!
“ohsnapmacros Buffalo Chicken Rice Bowl”
Buffalo Chicken Rice Bowl
- 1 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast cubed
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup Franks Red Hot Sauce or favorite
- 1 Tbsp. lite pancake syrup or honey, maple or date paste
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1 bag frozen cauliflower riced 12 oz.
- 1 bag Uncle Ben's Basmati Ready Rice or cooked 235 g
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 12 cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1/3 English cucumber thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 2 green onions chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Bolthouse Farms ranch dressing any ranch will work
- Heat a pan over medium, spray with cooking spray and add the cubed chicken. Season with salt and pepper and cook until it is fully cooked through and no longer pink in the center approximately 8-10 minutes.
- While the chicken cooks add the hot sauce, garlic powder and syrup to a sauce pan and whisk while boiling to thicken some. Once the chicken is cooked through add the greek yogurt to the sauce and mix until it is fully combined. Pour the sauce into the pan with the chicken and mix to coat.
- Cook the cauliflower rice and basmati according to their package instructions. Mix them two together in a bowl and drizzle with some lime juice.
- Assemble the buffalo chicken rice bowl with rice blend, cooked buffalo sauce covered chicken, shredded carrots, sliced cucumber, chopped green onions and ranch dressing.
- Meal prepping 3 bowls: each bowl gets 166 grams of chicken, 161 grams of rice blend, 1/4 cup shredded carrots, 4 chopped cherry tomatoes, a couple slices of cucumber and chopped green onions. Recipe makes 3 bowls. Top with 1 tbsp. of your favorite ranch (Bolthouse Farms ranch is included in nutrition facts).
What could I have done wrong?
our package of chicken was 1.5 lbs. and I couldn’t get 166 grams into 3 bowls.
However this smells delicious and I can’t wait for lunch this week 🙂
This was delicious! So easy and so good, it will definitely be part of my rotation. Only thing is I only got 2 bowls with 166 grams of chicken and one with only 100. Should it have been 1 lb AFTER being cooked? I used 1.14 lbs cooked. Thank you for making it easy to track macros!
1 lbs. raw meat. That’s exactly why I always encourage you weigh your final and divide by servings because if you simmer longer, chicken loses more or less liquid etc., the weights change. It’s near impossible to be exact for everyone when they’re cooking for themselves.
Made for dinner last night and it was a family hit!! Good amount of Buffalo flavor!
I made this recipe exactly as is says, Easy and amazing flavor!
This recipe is definitely a keeper!! The flavors blend together so nicely. I also had a problem with the serving size of the chicken. I was only able to get 2 servings out of it. Other than that it is delicious 😋
Omg this is my favorite so far! I love everything buffalo. I accidentally bought vanilla yogurt instead of plain so I omitted the syrup and it turned out great. Oops!
Do you warm the rice and chicken then add the veggies on top or eat it cold?
I prefer it warm but you could do a cold bowl too if you prefer. With rice, I would usually warm at least that part up, though so the rice isn’t hard.
Easy and so delicious! Crowd pleaser 👏🏼
Great to hear!