Why you’ll love this recipe
- The entire recipe has 120 grams of protein!
- You can make this cast iron queso for a party or just as your weekly snack.
- This brings a new twist to the traditional queso with added protein.
- Easily customize the heat level with jalapenos. Leave seeds for extra heat and add another if desired.
Can you make this queso ahead of time?
Yes! This queso stores will in the fridge and is actually delicious cold. Reheat on the stove or in a microwave safe dish covered to keep from splattering. Making this cast iron queso in the cast iron helps keep it hot when serving since the iron stays hot for a while after being removed from the heat.
Can I add meat to this?
Definitely! Add ground sausage or beef to the jalapenos, tomato and garlic and cook through. Then add the cheese mixtures. This cast iron queso is amazing with added protein.
This healthy queso dip is so customizable. You can add green chilis, fajita seasoning, my homemade taco seasoning, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, hot sauce or even nutritional yeast in place of some of the shredded cheese.
Does this queso taste like cottage cheese?
No and no! This queso tastes like melted cheesy delicious queso. You’d never know there was cottage cheese in this cast iron queso and I promise if you serve this your guests won’t know it either.
Do I have to use a cast iron?
No, you can use a regular pan for this recipe. Same directions apply. I am using a cast iron for this cast iron queso as it stays home and keeps your queso nice and melted when serving.
Ingredients and Substitutes:
These are the main ingredients and substitutions. See recipe card below for full ingredients list and instructions for cast iron queso.
Cottage Cheese: I know what you’re thinking. Is this going to taste like cottage cheese? I promise you it does not. My husband had no idea until I told him. Trust me here. I am using low fat small curd 2%, you can use fat free or full fat as well.
Cream Cheese: to limit the fat this recipe calls for 1/3 less fat cream cheese, you can use your favorite.
Cheddar Cheese: I am using a block of medium cheddar cheese, shredded. You can use your favorite cheese but do note that the lower the fat of the cheese the less melty it gets so I would not suggest substituting here. Alternatively, you could use less with a combination of laughing cow cheese wedges and cheese-flavored seasoning like nutritional yeast. I have not tested that though.
Tomato: the tomato is great in this cheese. You could also add a can of rotel in place of the tomato.
Jalapeno: I have written this recipe as a MILD queso using 1 deseeded jalapeno. Definitely suggest leaving in the seeds and even upping it to two jalapenos if you like it spicy.
Garlic and Seasonings: omit garlic if needed but it is a great flavor add here along with the salt and paprika.
Turkey Bacon: to add some low fat crunch I am using Jennie-O turkey bacon. You can use regular bacon as well just add it crispy at the end.
How to make cast iron queso:
Step 1: Cook the turkey bacon
Add 5 slices of turkey bacon to a air fryer and cook for 5 minutes at 360 degrees Fahrenheit. Flip and cook another 5 minutes until crispy. Remove and chop. The turkey bacon will go on top of the queso.
Step 2: Prep
Prep by chopping your jalapenos and deseeding (optional to leave seeds for added spice), tomato and garlic. Add to a hot cast iron over medium heat on the stove.
Cook and stir often for approximately 3-5 minutes until fragrant and tomatoes begin to soften.
Step 3: Blend the cottage cheese
While you cook the vegetables, using an immersion blender or food processor, whip the cottage cheese until smooth, similar to sour cream.
Step 4: Add to cast iron
Add the cottage cheese and cream cheese to the cast iron and mix until well combined and no chunks are left.
Step 5: Add the cheddar
Add the shredded cheddar cheese and mix well until it has completely melted.
Step 6: Add toppings
Remove the skillet from the heat top with turkey bacon, cilantro, and chopped red onion. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips or vegetables to dip with and enjoy your healthy queso dip.
Serving and storing
Serve this cast iron queso with your favorite tortilla chips, pita chips and vegetables or make some air fryer lavash chips. This high protein queso is great with and in anything. Suggest adding it to a burrito and taco salad as well. Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
Nutritional Information Notes
This recipe makes approximately 750 grams of queso. For best measurements, I would suggest weighing your final weight and dividing by the serving size. I have added the recipe to MyFitnessPal TWICE. Once as servings and once as total grams so that you can pull the grams you consume from the total 750 gram amount and log the cast iron queso in grams for convenance.
Example: if you use the “ohsnapmacros Cast Iron Queso (GRAMS)” entry in MyFitnessPal and log 50 as your serving size that is equal to 50 grams: 96 calories 8g Protein, 6.3g Fat, 2.6g Carbs. Happy logging!
If you like this recipe be sure to check out some of our other easy meals!
- Blackened Chicken Tacos
- Cinnamon Cream Cheese Roll Ups
- Turkey Gravy and Biscuits
- Blackened Chicken Caesar Salad
Cast Iron Queso
📱 MyFitnessPal & MacrosFirst App Users
You can find this recipe and many others on MyFitnessPal and MacrosFirst by searching: Ohsnapmacros – Cast Iron Queso
- cast iron
- 8 oz. low fat cottage cheese
- 3 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 6 oz. cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 small tomato chopped
- 1 jalapeno chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 5 slices turkey bacon, cooked
- chopped red onion
- Add 5 slices of turkey bacon to a air fryer and cook for 5 minutes at 360 degrees Fahrenheit. Flip and cook another 5 minutes until crispy. Remove and chop. The turkey bacon will go on top of the queso.
- Prep by chopping your jalapenos and deseeding (optional to leave seeds for added spice), tomato and garlic. Add to a hot cast iron over medium heat on the stove.Cook and stir often for 3-5 minutes until fragrant and tomatoes begin to soften.
- While you cook the vegetables, using a immersion blender or food processor, whip the cottage cheese until smooth, similar to sour cream.
- Add the cottage cheese and cream cheese to the cast iron and mix until well combined and no chunks are left.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese and mix well until it has completely melted.Remove the skillet from the heat top with turkey bacon, cilantro, and chopped red onion. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips or vegetables to dip with and enjoy your healthy queso dip.