How is this an Oil Free Pesto?
I am not sure this sauce could get any more macro friendly as it’s low fat and low carb for the entire jar of pesto. The entire jar is 59 calories!
This pesto takes all the best flavors and combines them with zero oil and zero added fat. Get all your fat from the other great toppings you’ll add to your dishes like cheese.
- Basil – I used a 2 oz. container of fresh packaged basil
- Spinach – 2 big handfuls of fresh baby spinach
- Garlic – 4 cloves cleaned and placed in whole
- Lemon – 1/2 a lemon juice for some tang
- Salt and Pepper – I only use A M Salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes for some spice
- Almonds or walnuts for some added fat, nuttiness and texture
- Water vs. oil if your add in makes it to thick
- Or add oil for some added fat
Now sure what to put pesto on?
- Toast with sliced hard boiled egg and red pepper flakes
- Mix with all kinds of pastas
- Add to Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Use as pizza sauce
- Use as salad dressing
- Add to sandwiches, wraps and crunchwraps as spread
- Stuff chicken with cheese and pesto and bake for a quick protein packed meal
- Put on a bagel with some whipped cream cheese for a savory snack
“ohsnapmacros Oil Free Pesto”
Oil Free Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil (2 oz.)
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 large lemon juiced
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 Tbsp. water
- pinch of salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender (I use a single serve smoothie blender cup) or a food processor if you'd like the pesto chunky.Blend until you reach the desired texture. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed. You could also add cracked red pepper for some spice.
- Recipe makes roughly 140 grams of sauce. The entire jar of sauce is 59 calories and 11 carbs. Split into 10 servings this is 6 cals and 1 carb. Considering you're not going to use the entire jar at once, I think we can all agree this is a free sauce.Nutrition facts listed are for the entire jar.
How do you store this and typically, how long would it keep?
Mason jar in the fridge. It starts to get darker as it sits but it still tastes great up to a few days later. You could also freeze leftovers immediately after making it. I freeze in Souper Cube small 2 tbsp. trays so I can take out 1 serving at a time.