Why you’ll love this recipe
- This air fryer halibut recipe is quick, easy and ready in minutes.
- Minimal ingredients and easy clean up makes it perfect for busy weeknights.
- Low carb, low fat and high in protein.
- Pair this flaky halibut with your favorite sides for a perfectly well-rounded meal.
I chose halibut for this recipe because it is a great source of lean protein and perfect for the air fryer. This mild white fish takes on the flavors its paired with making it one of the more versatile fish out there because you can pair it with just about anything. When choosing a halibut fillet, look for a white, glossy fish. Stay away from anything that looks dry or yellowing. That is an indicator the fish has gone bad.
Why an air fryer?
Air fryers are SO EASY. Traditional frying methods can really dry out fresh fish, especially ones as delicate as halibut. I have been cooking halibut forever, and I have learned that one minute too long can result in an overdone and rough fish fillet. We don’t want that! Make sure to season halibut first with your dry rub, spray your pre-heated air fryer with an olive oil spray, and arrange in an even layer in the air fryer basket. This will ensure an even cook for a delicious and perfect golden brown halibut.
I have the COSORI Air Fryer Oven Combo 5.8QT Max XL Large Cooker, linked here. I have had it for years with zero issues and highly recommend it! Try it out with other recipes too, like Air Fryer Blackened Chicken and Cinnamon Cream Cheese Roll Ups.
Can you roast the fish in the oven instead?
Absolutely! Air frying is my preferred method but baking works too, as long as you keep an eye on it. Using the same ingredients and instructions as provided for the air fryer halibut, place the halibut on a foil lined baking sheet and place in a pre heated oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for 10-20 minutes until the fish flakes easily with a fork or reads 135 degrees Fahrenheit with a meat thermometer. Your cook time will depend entirely on the thickness of the fillets.
Ingredients and Substitutes:
These are the main ingredients and substitutions. See recipe card below for full ingredients list and instructions for Air Fryer Halibut.
Halibut: “At the market, look for white, glossy flesh, avoiding any cuts that look dull, yellowish or dried out. Halibut also retains moisture well when frozen.” We use fresh caught, vacuum sealed and frozen halibut that my in-laws or husband catch every summer. While I do understand that is not available to everyone you can definitely find some great quality fish in stores. You can substitue with other white fish like tilapia or cod. Do note the filet thickness prior to cooking and adjust the time as needed.
Seasonings: Halibut has such a mild flavor, it really needs spices to bring it to life. Dried dill, garlic powder, salt and pepper are the seasonings used in this recipe and I recommend adding them all. You can spice it up with some chili powder or cayenne pepper.
Lemon: lemon adds the perfect amount of tang to the fish.
How to make air fryer halibut:
Preheat your air fryer.
While the air fryer heats, prep your halibut filets by patting dry and cutting into serving sizes as desired. You can cut into 4 – 4 oz. filets or 2 – 8 oz. filets.
Top filets with fresh squeezed lemon juice. Evenly cover the filets with dried dill, garlic powder, salt and pepper and place in a foil lined air fryer tray skin side down. Be sure to spray the foil with non stick spray before placing the filets on top. If your halibut has skin on, the skin will stick to the foil when you take it out, this is ok. If you filets do not have skin be sure to coat the foil well with non stick spray or oil.
Place the fish filets in the preheated air fryer in a single layer at 350 for 5-7 minutes. Remove and check if done. How much time it takes to cook depends on the thickness of the fillet. I suggest starting with 6 minutes (thinner filets will be done at this time) and cook at 3 minute increments until fully cooked.
The filets pictured were about 2″ thick and took approximately 12 minutes to cook through.
Note: every air fryer temp and time will vary. The air fryer halibut is done when it fakes with a fork.
What to serve with this recipe?
You can serve this healthy fish recipe with Greek Yogurt Mashed Potatoes, wild rice, tartar sauce, mango salsa, or roasted veggies. Top with lemon slices for garnish. Add this halibut air fryer recipe to fish tacos with a drizzle of fresh lemon or lime juice on top.
If you like this recipe be sure to check out some of our other great recipes!
- Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes
- Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos
- Air Fryer Beef Taquitos
- Air Fryer Sesame Chicken
- Cinnamon Cream Cheese Roll Ups
- Air Fryer Blackened Chicken
If tracking – log your total raw halibut filet.
Air Fryer Halibut
📱 MyFitnessPal & MacrosFirst App Users
You can find this recipe and many others on MyFitnessPal and MacrosFirst by searching: Ohsnapmacros – Air Fryer Halibut
- Air Fryer
- 1 lbs. fresh Halibut filets, thawed
- 1/4 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp. dried dill
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Fresh Cacked Pepper
- Pre heat your air fryer.
- While the air fryer heats, prep your halibut filets by patting dry and cutting into serving sizes as desired. You can cut into 4 – 4 oz. filets or 2 – 8 oz. filets.
- Top filets with fresh squeezed lemon juice. Evenly cover the filets with dried dill, garlic powder, salt and pepper and place in a foil lined air fryer tray skin side down. Be sure to spray the foil with non stick spray before placing the filets on top. If your halibut has skin on, the skin will stick to the foil when you take it out, this is ok. If you filets do not have skin be sure to coat the foil well with non stick spray or oil.
- Air fry the filets at 350 for 5-7 minutes. Remove and check if done. Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the fish. I suggest started with 6 minutes (thinner filets will be done at this time) and cook for 3 minute increments after until fully cooked. The filets pictured were about 2" thick and took approximately 12 minutes to cook through.
- Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary with substitutions.
- Every air fryer temp and time will vary. The air fryer halibut is done when it flakes with a fork.
- Every fish cooks depending on the thickness of the fillet. Keep an eye on your air fryed halibut to ensure a perfectly cooked fish.