Cheesy egg white sausage bake – casserole style
Nothing says, “good morning,” like eggs, sausage, and hash browns. This sausage egg bake is a classic big breakfast….in a casserole dish! Breakfast bakes are my favorite for meal prep so that I have something to easily grab and go.
Egg whites, sausage, hash browns, and mozzarella cheese come together to make an egg breakfast casserole that’s great for meal prep, serving big families, or holiday gatherings.
Using egg whites and low-fat cheese reduces calories and fat but has the meaty goodness we expect from a sausage egg casserole. Feel free to add other veggies or shredded cheese. I went with red pepper, onions, and mozzarella but throw in what you love!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- 25 grams of protein per serving.
- Simple ingredients.
- Cheesy, meaty and flavorful.
- Great breakfast for holiday mornings.
Dairy and gluten-free info
This cheesy egg casserole is gluten-free if you use gluten-free hash browns or swap them out for potatoes or sweet potatoes. You’ll have to cook the potatoes prior to adding them to your casserole.
For dairy-free, omit the mozzarella cheese or sub for your favorite alternative. Keep in mind, that dairy-free cheese tends to melt differently, so may change the consistency of your dish.
Ingredients and Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions. See the recipe card below for the full ingredients list and instructions for this cheesy egg white sausage bake.
Pork Sausage: or turkey sausage.
Egg Whites: if using egg whites from whole eggs it will take about 27 eggs to make 32 oz.
Reduced Fat Mozzarella Cheese Shreds: any preferred shredded cheese such as sharp cheddar cheese or pepper jack cheese.
Frozen Hash Browns: I used Alexia Foods.
Red Bell Pepper: green bell pepper or any preferred vegetables.
How to make this cheesy egg white sausage casserole
Step 1: preheat oven and prep baking dish
Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
Step 2: brown sausage, add veggies and hash browns
Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bell peppers, onion, and hash browns to the pan with the sausage and cook until hash browns are browned. Layer sausage mixture into a greased baking dish.
Step 3: mix seasonings and eggs
In a separate bowl, mix egg whites and spices.
Step 4: Layer egg mixture, top with cheese and bake
Pour egg mixture on top of sausage mixture. Top with cheese. Bake at 425 for 25 minutes. Ensure eggs are fully cooked before removing and enjoying. HOW CAN YOU TELL?
Serving and storing info
Serve your egg white breakfast casserole with hot sauce for heat or a dollop of sour cream. Sprinkle with green onions, if desired.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
If you like this recipe be sure to check out some of our other easy breakfast meals!
- Baked Pumpkin Mini Donuts
- Chicken and Waffle Casserole
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- High Protein French Toast Sticks
Cheesy Egg White Sausage Bake
📱 MyFitnessPal & MacrosFirst App Users
You can find this recipe and many others on MyFitnessPal and MacrosFirst by searching: Ohsnapmacros – Cheesy Egg White Sausage Bake
- 1 lbs. ground pork sausage
- 32 oz. container of egg whites
- 1/2 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese shreds 112g
- 1/4 large red bell pepper. chopped 68g
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped 85g
- 252 g frozen hash browns Alexia Foods
- 1 tsp. salt and pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- dash of cayenne
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Brown sausage over medium heat.
- Add bell peppers, onion and hash browns to the pan with the sausage and cook until hash browns are browned.
- Layer into a greased baking dish.
- Mix egg and spices in a separate bowl.
- Pour on top of sausage mixture. Top with cheese.
- Bake at 425 for 25 mins.
- Remove from the oven and check eggs are fully cooked. Cut into 6 equal squares and enjoy!
- Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary with substitutions.