Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
Never buy store-bought packets again with this homemade taco seasoning! This spice blend has just six simple spices and can be used for everything. Make a big batch and store in an airtight container to use on so many amazing recipes, like 5 Layer Dip and Taco Mac and Cheese.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- The best homemade taco seasoning ever!
- Adjust spice levels of all your recipes.
- Free of sugar, flavor enhancers, or excess salt.
Why a homemade version is superior
Don’t get me wrong, a packet of taco seasoning is awfully convenient and I use them from time to time. However, making your own is incredibly easy and there’s no reason not to. It’s inexpensive (I buy all my basic spices in bulk from Costco), much healthier, and incredibly easy. Store-bought mixes have a shocking amount of salt! This homemade recipe has no additives, preservatives, sugars or fillers and you literally throw everything into a mason jar, shake it up, and call it a day. You can even buy cute little glass spice jars if you want to be fancy.
Even better, you have complete control of what goes into your homemade seasoning. I add a little cayenne pepper to it because I’m a spicy kinda gal. Start with the homemade blend on the recipe card and add or remove whatever you like. You’ll also feel cool making your own seasonings and people will be jealous with your homemade spice cabinet.
How to use your homemade taco seasoning
The recipe as written is equivalent to about 2 packets of premade seasoning which are typically 2 tbsp. each. If using 1 lbs. of meat I mix 2 tbsp. of seasoning with 2 tbsp. water to create a paste prior to combining with the ground meat. This is my preferred method when adding seasoning to any meat. Rather than it just being coated with seasonings it adds this nice touch of sauce to it.
These are the main ingredients for homemade taco seasoning. See the recipe card below for the full ingredients list and instructions.
How to make this easy homemade taco seasoning:
Step 1: Mix ingredients together
Mix everything in a mason jar and give it a good shake.
Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place. If all your ingredients are fresh, this will keep for up to six months. To bulk prep this recipe simple double, triple and so on to always have a batch on hand!
Check out these recipes to add this taco seasoning too!
Homemade Taco Seasoning
📱 MyFitnessPal & MacrosFirst App Users
You can find this recipe and many others on MyFitnessPal and MacrosFirst by searching: Ohsnapmacros – Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1.5 Tbsp. ground cumin
- Mix all ingredients in a mason jar and shake to combine.
Adding to ground meats
- Mix the seasoning with 1/4 cup of water to create a paste and add to your cooked ground meat (turkey, beef, chicken, etc.) and mix together to evenly coat.
- This recipe is equivalent to roughly 2 pre made spice packets.
- The recipe as written makes 5 TBSP. of taco seasoning which is suitable for 2 lbs. of ground meat.
- To bulk this recipe simply double, triple, etc. all ingredients.
- Nutrition facts listed per 1 Tbsp.
- For 1 lbs. meat mix 2 Tbsp. of seasoning (or more for spicy!) with 2 Tbsp. Water.