5 layer dip – what’s not to love?
You don’t need an excuse to make this, but if you’re looking for the perfect Super Bowl app, game day app or just something to bring to the party (or snack on all week), this 5 layer dip recipe is the best! Layers of refried beans, taco-spiced Greek yogurt, guacamole, and pico de gallo make this easy dip an absolute winner. Sprinkle cheese over the top and serve with tortilla chips, veggie sticks, or pita chips, and watch it disappear as quickly as it came together.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- 7 grams of protein per serving and 4 grams of fiber!
- Homemade taco seasoning that can be used so many ways.
- 5 layer dip is an easy recipe that comes together quickly.
- Layers of creamy guac, refried beans, seasoned Greek yogurt, cheddar cheese, and fresh pico.
I’m all about making my own seasonings. They’re easy, inexpensive and you control what’s going in it. This 5 layer dip comes with its own homemade taco seasoning that you add to Greek yogurt to make a flavorful sour cream alternative. You’ll have extra so save it for my Taco Mac and Cheese or Air Fryer Southwest Egg Rolls. For convenience, a packet of taco seasoning is always an option. I recommend Siete Mild Taco Seasoning. It’s so flavorful and a pretty close second to homemade!
Can I make this ahead of time?
You have to! This 5 layer dip makes the perfect party app because it has to be refrigerated for at least an hour before serving. This allows the layers to settle and ensures everything is prepped and ready to go when it’s party time.
Gluten and dairy-free info
This 5 layer Mexican dip is gluten-free as is. To make dairy-free, use a dairy-free Greek yogurt and either omit the cheese or substitute with a dairy-free alternative.
Ingredients and Substitutes:
These are the main ingredients and substitutions. See the recipe card below for the full ingredients list and instructions for 5 layer dip.
Refined Beans: Refried beans are the first layer and are more traditional for this dip. Substitute with black beans, if preferred.
Guacamole: Wholly Guacamole is my favorite because of its ingredient list. Use 1/2 of a 15 oz. family size, an entire 7.5 oz container size, or use 3 mini 2 oz. packs. The mini packs are great if you use the remainder for lunches for the rest of the week. Any guac (including homemade!) will work, Wholly is just my favorite.
Mexican Blend Cheese
Pico de Gallo: or any chunky salsa or cut-up fresh tomatoes.
How to make 5 layer Dip
Step 1: first layer
In an 8×8-inch casserole dish, spread the can of fat-free refried beans along the bottom.
Step 2: second layer
On top of the bean layer, add the layer of guacamole and spread to evenly coat. Do not push the layers into each other to avoid mixing the layers,
Step 3: make seasoning and third layer
In a small mason jar combine the taco seasoning ingredients and mix together. You will only use 1 Tbsp. of this seasoning, saving the rest for many other uses.
In a medium bowl, combine the Greek yogurt with 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning.
Mix until fully combined.
Spread the taco seasoned yogurt over the guacamole and spread in a even layer.
Step 4: fourth and fifth layer
Top the yogurt with the shredded cheese followed by the salsa.
Step 5: refrigerate
Refrigerate for at least one hour prior to serving to allow everything to settle in. Serve with fresh chopped veggies, pita chips, chips or popcorners.
Additional toppings and serving suggestions
Make your 5 layer dip into 7 layer dip by adding a layer of lettuce and black olives. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, green chiles, or jalapeños. Serve with tortilla chips, chopped veggies, pita chips or popcorners.
If you like this recipe be sure to check out some of our other dips!
5 Layer Dip
📱 MyFitnessPal & MacrosFirst App Users
You can find this recipe and many others on MyFitnessPal and MacrosFirst by searching: Ohsnapmacros – 5 Layer Dip
- 16 oz. fat-free refried beans one can
- 8 oz. Wholly Guacamole
- 2 cups non-fat Greek yogurt 448g
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend 112g
- 1 cup fresh pico de gallo 230g
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1.5 Tbsp. ground cumin
- In a 8×8-inch baking dish, spread the refried beans along the bottom.
- On top of the bean layer, add the layer of guacamole and spread to evenly coat. Do not push the layers into each other to avoid mixing the layers,
- In a small mason jar, combine the taco seasoning ingredients and mix together. You will only use 1 Tbsp. of this seasoning, saving the rest for many other uses.
- In a medium bowl, combine the Greek yogurt with 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning and mix until fully combined. Spread the taco seasoned yogurt over the guacamole and spread in a even layer.
- Top the yogurt with the shredded cheese followed by the salsa. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley or jalapeños.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour prior to serving to allow the layers to settle. Serve with fresh chopped veggies, pita chips, chips or popcorners.
- Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary with substitutions.
- Serving size is about 3/4 cup which is 167 grams.
Photos by Marie-Catherine Dube