Greek yogurt buffalo chicken dip
We love a good dip around here and this creamy buffalo chicken dip is one to remember. With tender shredded chicken, tangy buffalo sauce, and cheesy perfection, you cannot go wrong.
Made with Greek yogurt and low-fat cream cheese instead of sour cream or mayo, this lightened-up version has all the spicy creamy flavor at a fraction of the calories and fat. Serve it at your Super Bowl party with 5 Layer Dip, at your next holiday party with Cranberry Jalapeno Dip or just because you’re in a dipping mood.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- 19 grams of protein per serving.
- Perfect football season appetizer.
- Use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken to save on time.
- If you love spicy food, this buffalo chicken dip is for you!
No cast-iron? No prob
The cast iron gives the edges a crispy cheesy crunch that you can’t get with a regular pan. However, if you don’t have a cast-iron or are not a bodybuilder and struggle to hold the dang thing, no worries. Use any oven-safe baking dish or casserole dish.
Alternate chicken cooking
I used an instant pot for this because it’s super fast. No instant pot? Go old school and boil on the stovetop.
To boil, add chicken to a large pot with a tight-fitting lid. Cover with water and bring to a rapid boil. Boil chicken for about ten minutes, depending on the size of your chicken breasts. Internal temp should be 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Shred with two forks.
Chicken shredding secret: use a hand mixer to shred! It takes 1 minute and makes perfectly shredded pieces.
Ingredients and Substitutes:
These are the main ingredients and substitutions. See the recipe card below for the full ingredients list and instructions for Greek yogurt buffalo chicken dip.
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: use a rotisserie chicken or canned chicken to save on time.
Low Fat Cream Cheese
Medium Cheddar Cheese: mozzarella cheese or pepper jack cheese. I do not suggest substituting for low-fat cheese, as it does not melt properly for this dish.
Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt
Frank’s Hot Sauce: or your favorite hot sauce.
Lite Maple Syrup: substitute with 100% pure maple or honey.
How to make Greek Yogurt Buffalo Chicken Dip:
Step 1: Cook the chicken
For fresh chicken breast:
Place the chicken and the chicken broth in the instant pot and pressure cook for 10 minutes. Remove and shred.
For frozen chicken breast:
Place the chicken and the chicken broth in the instant pot and pressure cook for 12- 15 minutes until cooked through. Remove and shred.
Step 2: Preheat
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 3: Mix the dip
In a large bowl mix together 2 oz. cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, maple syrup, seasonings, and chicken.
Step 4: Add to oven-safe dish
Add the mixture to an oven-safe pan or an 8″ cast iron. Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1 oz. of shredded cheddar cheese.
Step 5: Bake
Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes until the edges are bubbling and the center is hot.
Serving and storing info
Serve your dip with carrot sticks, bell pepper, celery sticks, pita chips, tortilla chips or pieces of French bread.
Store any leftover dip in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. It reheats super well but is best served immediately.
Nutritional Information Notes
This recipe makes approximately 1000 grams of Greek yogurt buffalo chicken dip which is approximately 100 grams per serving with 10 servings, or approximately 1/2 cup.
If you like this recipe be sure to check out some of our other easy snacks!
Greek Yogurt Buffalo Chicken Dip
📱 MyFitnessPal & MacrosFirst App Users
You can find this recipe and many others on MyFitnessPal and MacrosFirst by searching: Ohsnapmacros – Greek Yogurt Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Instant Pot
- 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup chicken broth
- cooked chicken
- 8 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 3 oz. shredded cheddar cheese, 1 oz. on top
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt 113 grams
- 1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. lite maple syrup
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- green onions chopped, for garnish
For the chicken
- Place the chicken and the chicken broth in the instant pot and pressure cook for 10 minutes, if fresh. If frozen, 12 minutes.
- Remove and shred.
For the dip
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together 2 oz. cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, maple syrup, seasonings and chicken.
- Add the mixture to a cast-iron or oven-safe pan.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1 oz. of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes until the edges are bubbling and the center is hot.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with chips, vegetables, crackers or eat it by itself.
- Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary with substitutions.