Why you’ll love this recipe
- Crock pot buffalo chicken dip is spicy, rich, creamy and full of buffalo flavor.
- Gluten-free, 24g of protein per serving and made with lower fat ingredients.
- Pairs well with veggies, crackers, pitas, and sandwiches.
- Great party appetizer – the crock pot keeps it warm all party long.
If you’re looking for your next go-to appetizer to bring to your next party, look no further. This crock pot buffalo chicken dip is a guaranteed crowd pleaser. It’s the best of everything: cheesy, creamy, perfectly spicy and loaded with chicken. This high protein dip is made with lower fat ingredients to reduce calories and fat content but does not sacrifice on taste or flavor.
What makes the crock pot buffalo chicken dip so good?
Don’t let the low-fat ingredients fool you. This buffalo chicken dip is everything you’d expect in a dip: rich, gooey, warm and full of flavor. The crock pot perfectly cooks tender juicy chicken. Then, cheese, hot sauce, yogurt, cream cheese and a few simple spices are added and after a few hours of cook time you are left with a mouthwatering addicting dip. I bring this to parties and not only is it one of the first things gone, it’s requested time and time again.
Can I make this dip ahead of time?
The buffalo chicken dip is best served warm so ideally, it’s served the day it’s made. When I make this for parties, I make it at home and then bring it in the crock pot and leave on the warm setting so the dip stays warm all party long. However, this makes GREAT leftovers.
You can reheat in the microwave or oven on low temperature until warm. I love the leftovers on open face sandwiches or with sliced cucumbers to dip.
Is this gluten and dairy free?
This buffalo dip is naturally gluten-free.
This dip has a lot of dairy ingredients and I wouldn’t suggest subbing them out to make dairy-free as it would significantly change the consistency.
Ingredients and Substitutes:
These are the main ingredients and substitutions. See recipe card below for full ingredients list and instructions for this crockpot buffalo chicken dip recipe.
Chicken: I used 1.5 pounds of defrosted boneless skinless chicken breast. If using frozen, defrost chicken first or you can cook it frozen in the instant pot with 1 cup liquid for 25 minutes.
Hot sauce: Frank’s Red Hot Sauce is always my go-to hot sauce but any will work.
Cheese: I used low-fat sharp cheddar and low moisture, part-skim mozzarella. Sharp cheddar has a more pronounced flavor than mild so I prefer it for this recipe.
Cream cheese: I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese to keep calories and fat down. You can use full fat for a richer dip.
Green onions: adds that extra pop of flavor that complements the hot sauce, definitely add it!
Herbs and spices: salt and garlic powder are all you need!
Greek yogurt: Fage plain non-fat Greek yogurt is always my go-to. You can use any brand you prefer.
How to make this dip:
Cook the chicken
Add the raw chicken to a pot. Cover the chicken with water and set to boil for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked through and no longer pink with an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Alternatively, you can cook the chicken in the instant pot. For defrosted chicken add to the instant pot with 1 cup liquid and pressure cook for 7-8 minutes. If frozen, pressure cook the chicken with 1 cup of broth for 25 minutes.
Shred the chicken
Remove the chicken from the water and shred with 2 forks or with a hand mixer in a bowl (my preferred method).
Add to crock pot
Add the shredded chicken, hot sauce, cream cheese, shredded cheeses, green onions, garlic powder and salt to the crock pot. Stir together to slightly mix and set on low for 1.5 hours. Stir around the 1 hour mark to ensure even cooking.
Add Greek yogurt and stir
Once done, give the buffalo chicken dip a good mix to evenly combine and add the Greek yogurt. Stir until evenly combined throughout.
I love the crockpot buffalo chicken dip because you can serve it with basically anything. Add it to a vegetable tray with carrots, broccoli, celery, bell peppers, cucumbers, and cauliflower. Serve with pita bread, chips, or your favorite crackers. When I have leftovers, I put it on toast with avocado, tomato and sprouts as an open faced sandwich. Sky is the limit!
This recipe makes approximately 10 servings at 118g each.
If you like this recipe be sure to check out some of our other easy dips!
Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
📱 MyFitnessPal & MacrosFirst App Users
You can find this recipe and many others on MyFitnessPal and MacrosFirst by searching: Ohsnapmacros – Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Crock pot
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 8 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese cubed
- 1 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese shredded, 112g
- 1 cup low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese shredded, 112g
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- Add the raw chicken to a pot. Cover the chicken with water and set to boil for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked through and no longer pink with an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the chicken from the water and shred with 2 forks or with a hand mixer in a bowl (my preferred method).
- Add the shredded chicken, hot sauce, cream cheese, shredded cheeses, green onions, garlic powder and salt to the crock pot. Stir together to slightly mix and set on low for 1.5 hours. Stir around the 1 hour mark to ensure even cooking.
- Once done, give the buffalo chicken dip a good mix to evenly combine and add the Greek yogurt. Stir until evenly combined throughout.
- Serve with chopped pita, crackers, chips or veggies. This is also great on toast as an open face sandwich.
- 10 servings at 118g each.
- Use any hot sauce, Frank’s is my go-to for anything hot sauce related.
- Serve with crackers, pita, veggies or as an open face sandwich.