Why you’ll love this recipe
- The whole family will love these crispy potatoes.
- From breakfast to dinner to daytime snack they are the perfect side dish.
- These air fryer smashed potatoes use simple ingredients, fresh herbs and pantry staples.
- Top with homemade chimichurri or your favorite dipping sauce.
What are air fryer smashed potatoes, anyway?
Simply put: potatoes, air fried and then smashed! This easy recipe is a great alternative to most time consuming smash potatoes that require boiling, baking, smashing, and baking again.
The idea behind smashed potatoes is to remove the potatoes halfway through cooking to “smash” them and expose the soft and fluffy inside. The key is to smash them before they’re overcooked and too soft (we want SMASHED potatoes not mashed potatoes) but still tender enough to be smashed. They’re ready to be smashed when a fork can easily slide through the potato. Once smashed, continue to air fry until you have perfectly crispy smashed potatoes. Pair with the super flavorful chimichurri sauce and enjoy as a finger food or as a side with a main protein for a complete meal.
Air fryer info
I have the COSORI Air Fryer Oven Combo 5.8QT Max XL Large Cooker, linked here. It’s the best air fryer I’ve found and have had it for years and still going strong.
Can you roast the potatoes in the oven instead?
No air fryer is no biggie. With a pot of water and an oven you can make the same great potatoes.
- Bring a pot of water to boil.
- Boil potatoes until soft – around 20 to 25 minutes. Alternatively, steam or microwave them.
- Drain and transfer to a paper towel to dry.
- Place on a baking sheet and smash, add oil and seasonings, bake at 390 degrees Fahrenheit for 40-45 minutes until crispy.
Ingredients and Substitutes:
These are the main ingredients and substitutions. See recipe card below for full ingredients list and instructions for Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes.
Petite Golden Potatoes: you can use any variety of small potatoes. The cooking time will vary depending on size of potatoes.
Olive Oil: use regular, light, extra virgin, coconut oil, avocado oil or any oil you prefer. Nutrition facts are for regular olive oil.
Seasonings: salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Fresh rosemary, onion powder, and thyme are other options.
How to make these air fryer air fryer smashed potatoes:
Step 1: Wash and Prep
Preheat your air fryer. While the air fryer is pre-heating wash and dry potatoes leaving the skin on.
Step 2: Air Fry
Add the whole potatoes to the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes. Once done cooking, remove and check that the potatoes are fork tender to be smashed. You do not want to over cook the potatoes or they will turn into mashed potatoes if too soft.
Step 3: Smash
Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and smash with bottom of a glass, cup or mason jar. Whatever you have on hand will work. Lightly press down on the potato until they’re smashed to at least 1/2 inch thick.
Step 4: Season and Air Fry
While the potatoes are on the baking sheet drizzle the olive oil and seasonings over the tops. Place potatoes back in the air fryer pan. Try not to overlap, you may need to work in two batches if you have large potatoes and cannot fit them all.
Once returned to the air fryer, cook at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes until crispy and golden brown.
Step 5: Chimichurri
Finely chop all ingredients and add to a small bowl with oil and vinegar. Mix together well and serve with potatoes, on steak or chicken and enjoy.
Makes approximately 10 servings of chimichurri sauce. 81 calories: 8 F / 0 C / 8 F. Weigh your total and divide by 10.
For best tracking of the chimichurri sauce, I suggest making the recipe in your tracking app and setting the total servings to the TOTAL grams of sauce you end up with. This way you can use as many grams as desired and it will log accordingly.
Serving and storing info
These air fryer smashed potatoes are a great side dish with protein. The sauce pairs great with grilled steak and chicken.
This air fryer smashed potatoes recipe makes approximately 6 servings of 81 grams each. If you want to be 100% accurate in your serving size I highly suggest you weigh your final dish and divide by 6.
Store any leftover smashed potatoes in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge. When you’re ready to reheat, use the oven or air fryer to crisp them back up, as the microwave tends to make them soggy.
If you like this recipe be sure to check out some of our other easy air fryer recipes!
- Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos
- Air Fryer Beef Taquitos
- Air Fryer Sesame Chicken
- Cinnamon Cream Cheese Roll Ups
- Air Fryer Blackened Chicken
- Air Fryer Teriyaki Salmon
Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
📱 MyFitnessPal & MacrosFirst App Users
You can find this recipe and many others on MyFitnessPal and MacrosFirst by searching: Ohsnapmacros – Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- Air Fryer
- 2 lbs. golden petite potatoes washed and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp. salt
- 1/2 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 Tbsp. garlic powder
- fresh cracked pepper
- 1 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1/2 shallot finely chopped
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 6 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the air fryer.
- While the air fryer is pre-heating, wash and dry potatoes, leaving the skin on.
- Add the whole potatoes to the air fryer basket and cook at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
- Remove and check the potatoes are fork tender enough to be smashed. You do not want to over cook them. They will turn into mashed potatoes if they are too soft.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and smash with bottom of a glass, coffee cup or mason jar. Lightly press down on the potato until they're smashed to at least 1/2 inch thick.
- While the potatoes are on the baking sheet, drizzle the olive oil and seasonings over the tops.
- Place the potatoes back in the air fryer basket. Try not to overlap, you may need to work in two batches if you have larger potatoes and cannot fit them all.
- Once returned to the air fryer, cook at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes until crispy and golden brown.
For the chimichurri sauce:
- Finely chop all ingredients and add to a small bowl with oil and vinegar. Mix together well and serve with potatoes.
- Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary with substitutions.
- Makes approximately 10 servings of chimichurri sauce. 81 calories: 8 F / 0 C / 8 F. Weigh your total and divide by 10.