Why you’ll love this recipe
- Low calorie and nutrient dense.
- Creamy, zesty, and sweet and totally customizable to your preferences.
- Minimal ingredients and comes together in minutes.
- Great way to use up extra broccoli.
- Broccoli crunch salad is a classic summer staple that delivers on flavor while still being healthy.
Sweet cranberries, crispy broccoli, crunchy apples and savory sunflower seeds are tossed in a zesty creamy lemon dressing to make an irresistible broccoli summer salad. It comes together in minutes using minimal ingredients making it not just delicious but nice and easy. It’s low in calories, high in nutrition and heavy on flavor. This salad is a summer must have for your next bbq or weekly meal prep!
Make it your own
One thing I love about the broccoli crunch salad is you can totally make it your own. If you don’t want (or don’t have) sunflower seeds, swap ’em out! Use sliced almonds or chopped walnuts in it’s place. SO GOOD. Want it a little sweeter or have a handful of grapes left in the fridge? Toss ’em in! Raisins or any other dried fruit work too. If you want a more savory salad, omit the sweet fruit all together and add crispy bacon bits on top. For a more complete meal, add my air fryer blackened chicken.
Is this dairy and gluten-free?
The broccoli summer salad is gluten-free but not dairy-free due to the yogurt in the dressing. Swap it out for a non-dairy yogurt, such as Forager, for a dairy-free salad.
Ingredients and Substitutes:
These are the main ingredients and substitutions. See recipe card below for full ingredients list and instructions for the broccoli summer salad.
Broccoli: find the freshest! Cut them to bite size pieces.
Carrots: shred your own or buy pre-bagged to save on time.
Cranberries: substitute with raisins or any other dried fruit.
Sunflower seeds: substitute with sliced almonds or chopped walnuts or omit entirely.
Red onion: adds crunch and tons of flavor.
Apples: I used Honeycrisp but any variety works. Green apples would be delicious too.
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for the dressing. See recipe card below for full ingredients list and instructions.
Greek yogurt: Fage non-fat plain Greek yogurt is always my go-to. You can use any brand but I suggest using plain nonflavored.
Apple cider vinegar: cuts the tang of the yogurt.
Honey: adds sweetness. Can be substituted for maple syrup or lite syrup.
Lemon juice: fresh squeezed is best but store bought is always a great option. Lemons are expensive in Alaska so no judgment here!
How to make the Broccoli Crunch Salad
Step 1: Combine salad ingredients
In a large bowl, combine the broccoli florets, shredded carrots, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, chopped red onion, and chopped apple.
Step 2: Combine dressing ingredients
In a separate small bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, honey, and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Step 3: Mix together
Next, pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture. Toss until all the ingredients are evenly coated.
Step 4: Cover and refrigerate
Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. This will allow the flavors to meld together. Toss the salad again before serving and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary and serve.
What to serve with this salad with
The broccoli crunch salad is an excellent side dish and serves well with a protein like my grilled teriyaki chicken or cast iron flank steak. I actually love it for breakfast with egg whites and a piece of toast. For a complete bbq serve it with your protein and my dill pickle pasta salad or high protein pasta salad.
If you like this recipe be sure to check out some of our other summer meals!
Broccoli Crunch Salad
📱 MyFitnessPal & MacrosFirst App Users
You can find this recipe and many others on MyFitnessPal and MacrosFirst by searching: Ohsnapmacros – Broccoli Crunch Salad
- 5 heaping cups broccoli florets chopped, 340g
- 1 cup carrots shredded, 80g
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries 60g
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds 35g
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped, 35g
- 1 honeycrisp apple chopped, 200g
- 3/4 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt 170g
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 Tbsp. honey 31g
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli florets, shredded carrots, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, chopped red onion, and chopped apple.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, honey, and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture. Toss until all the ingredients are evenly coated.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. This will allow the flavors to meld together. Toss the salad again before serving and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary and serve.
- Nutritional information is always an estimate and will change with substitutions.
- Substitute sunflower seeds for sliced almonds or chopped walnuts.
- Substitute cranberries for raisins or another dried fruit or omit altogether.
- Add chicken for added protein.
- Make sure to refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.