Why you’ll love this recipe
- This recipe is easily made using minimal ingredients and can even be turned into a dip.
- You can use canned or fresh crab.
- This recipe brings me so many memories and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it as well.
- Easily put this together for family and friends for a fun sandwich.
- This crab and artichoke sandwich is great air fried but can be baked or made in the toaster oven.
What canned crab should I use?
Our store did not have many options so I went with Bumble Bee, linked here. If you have access to fresh crab it would be delicious in this spread. However, bring in extra hands to help with the manual labor of cracking shells and piling up the meat for the crab and artichoke sandwich.
What bread should be used for this sandwich?
I left the bread out of the nutrition facts so that you can experiment with your own favorite combination. This crab and artichoke sandwich is great with fresh baked French bread, any and all focaccias and even specialty breads like nut or olive. If tracking macros use your favorite Dave’s Killer Bread or a low calorie option.
Can I bake this sandwich vs. air fry?
Definitely! Instead of air frying your crab and artichoke sandwich place the sandwich on a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 5-10 minutes until the cheese has melted, spread is warm and bread is toasted. Broil the top as needed.
Is this good for meal prep?
I would personally make it and eat it right away but you could definitely make it ahead of time and refrigerate the spread until ready to make your crab and artichoke sandwich.
What air fryer do you use?
I have the COSORI Air Fryer Oven Combo 5.8QT Max XL Large Cooker, linked here. I do find it is pretty loud in the kitchen but it gets the job done and makes perfect crab and artichoke sandwich. We have had it for years without any issues.
Ingredients and Substitutes:
These are the main ingredients and substitutions. See recipe card below for full ingredients list and instructions for this Crab and Artichoke Sandwich.
Crab: I am using Bumble Bee canned crab for this recipe, linked here. If you have access to fresh crab it would be delicious in this spread. You could also substitute with chicken or tuna.
Artichokes: you can use marinated or not marinated artichoke hearts for this recipe. The macros with change if using a oil based marinated jar of artichoke heart. I am using Napoleon Whole Artichokes, linked here.
Mayonnaise: use your favorite mayonnaise. I would suggest using a full fat vs. low fat for extra flavor. I like this sandwich with the Olive Oil based Mayonnaise by Best Foods. You can use a dairy free alternative as well.
Greek Yogurt: this recipe calls for plain nonfat Greek Yogurt. I prefer Fage for the taste. You can substitute with your favorite Greek yogurt and proffered fat level.
Parmesan Cheese: the parmesan cheese in the spread gives a great amount of flavor and creaminess.
Yellow Onions: you want the yellow onions sliced as thin as you possibly can. The thinner the better and they should be translucent. Use a mandolin to cut them if you have one or a vest sharp knife.
For the sandwich:
Bread: I left the bread out of the nutrition facts so that you can experiment with your own favorite combination. This crab and artichoke sandwich is great with fresh baked French bread, any and all focaccias and even specialty breads like nut or olive. If tracking macros use your favorite Dave’s Killer Bread or a low calorie option.
Tomato: tomato is a great addition to this sandwich! Thinly slice them and add on top of the spread before the cheese. Another great addition to the crab and artichoke sandwich is fresh avocado on top after baking.
Monterey Jack Cheese: top the sandwich with thinly sliced Monterey Jack or your favorite white cheese before baking.
Pepperoncini and Sweet Cherry Peppers: for the full First Street Café experience, do NOT forget to serve with a couple full pepperoncini’s and sweet cherry peppers.
How to make a crab and artichoke sandwich
Step 1: prep
Drain the crab and add to a bowl. If using fresh crab remove the meat from the shell and place in a bowl.
Step 2: mix
Combine with mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, shredded parmesan cheese, finely sliced onion, artichoke hearts, parsley salt and pepper. Mix together well.
Step 3: assemble
Slice bread into 4 rounds and top with 1/4 the crab and artichoke spread. Top with sliced tomato, and 1 oz. finely sliced Monterey jack cheese.
Step 4: cook
Place in the basket of a air fryer and air fry at 370 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes. Or bake at 350 for 5-10 minutes and broil at the end until golden brown and the cheese has melted.
Step 5: serve
Serve with whole pepperoncini’s and enjoy!
Nutrition facts for crab and artichoke dip only so you can build your sandwich with bread and cheese used.
How to turn this sandwich into a dip
Follow steps 1 and 2 as directed and place in a oven safe baking dish. Top with chopped tomatoes and thinly sliced Monterey jack cheese. Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes until the dip is bubbling and the cheese has melted and started to brown. Serve with bread, crackers, pita chips or fresh cut vegetables.
If you like this recipe be sure to check out some of our other easy meals!
- Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- Hot Honey Lemon Pepper Wings
- Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta with Sausage
- Turkey Sweet Potato Hash
Crab and Artichoke Sandwich
📱 MyFitnessPal & MacrosFirst App Users
You can find this recipe and many others on MyFitnessPal and MacrosFirst by searching: Ohsnapmacros – Crab and Artichoke Sandwich
- 2 cans (12 oz.) Bumble Bee Crabmeat Premium Select Wild Fancy White
- 5 tbsp Olive Oil Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup (56g) Fage Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup (28g) shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup finely sliced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped artichoke hearts
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Sliced French Bread
- Sliced Tomato
- 4 oz thinly sliced Monterey Jack cheese
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Drain the crab and add to a bowl.Combine with mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, shredded parmesan cheese, finely sliced onion, artichoke hearts, parsley salt and pepper. Mix together well.
- Slice bread into 4 rounds and top with 1/4 the crab and artichoke spread. Top with sliced tomato, and 1 oz. finely sliced Monterey jack cheese.Place in the basket of a air fryer and air fry at 370 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes. Or bake at 350 for 5-10 minutes and broil at the end until golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- For the full First Street Café experience, do NOT forget to serve with a couple full pepperoncini's and sweet cherry peppers. Top with chopped parsley and enjoy your crab and artichoke sandwich.Nutrition facts for crab and artichoke dip only so you can build your sandwich with bread used.