Why you’ll love this recipe
- Perfect shareable meal for parties.
- Delicious on tacos, burritos, sandwiches, over rice, or solo.
- Makes great leftovers and meal prep.
- Easy to make using inexpensive pantry staples.
- Instant pot shredded beef makes a ton of servings.
Instant Pot Shredded Beef
Say hello to your new favorite pot luck item. This tender, juicy shredded beef is the best of everything. Easy and inexpensive, throw it into the pot and let the magic happen. Perfect for parties and feeding lots of people, this recipe can do so much, it’s like making 10 different dishes in one. Use in a sandwich bar, a taco bar, as a main to rice and beans. Season it any way you want and voila! Your dish is the star of the show.
Slow cooking is the magic behind shredded beef’s juicy flavorful, pulled apart meat. The instant pot gets this same result in a fraction of the time. If you don’t have an instant pot, feel free to use the slow cooker, but it will take hours as opposed to less than 30 minutes.
What cut of beef should I use?
Chuck roast hands down! Chuck roast is the best cut of meat for instant pot shredded beef because its large size and ability to get tender the longer you cook, a dream come true for this meal. I am using a 3 lbs. of chuck roast with the fat trimmed.
Can you make this recipe dairy free and gluten free?
This recipe is gluten and dairy free!
What instant pot do you use?
I have the Instant Pot 6qt Duo Pressure Cooker. It has yet to fail me. After you’ve tried the instant pot shredded beef, take a stab at the Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff and Macro Friendly Chili. There’s so much you can do with this kitchen contraption, it’s worth every penny!
Ingredients and Substitutes:
See recipe card below for full ingredients list and instructions for Instant Pot Shredded Beef.
Chuck Roast: this recipe uses a 3 pound boneless chuck roast with the fat trimmed. I do not do anything fancy with the fat I just remove any large chunks.
Beef Broth: for this recipe you’ll need one cup of beef broth. I prefer low sodium.
Tapioca Flour: to thicken the sauce a smidge I am using tapioca flour at the very end mixed with water. You can use cornstarch or your favorite thickener.
Lime: you’ll need the juice of one full lime. Roll the uncut lime on the counter with your hand to help loosen the juice for squeezing.
Cilantro: this is completely optional but I like adding a handful of chopped cilantro to the shredded beef after cooking.
Olive Oil: you can use any oil for this recipe. The oil helps sear the meat prior to cooking.
How to make this Instant Pot Shredded Beef
First, turn the instant pot on saute. Trim the fat off your beef and cut into 2 inch chunks and place in a bowl. Add 1 tbsp. of olive oil, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, chili powder and lime juice to the bowl and mix together well to combine.
Add the second 1 tbsp. olive oil to the instant pot and sauté the beef on all sides until slightly browned but not cooked.
Next, add the beef broth to the pot, cover with the lid and seal the release valve. Pressure cook for 30 minutes.
Let the beef slow release for 20 minutes before quick releasing. Once done you can either shred the beef directly in the pot or remove the beef with a slotted spoon, shred and return.
To slightly thicken the sauce mix the tapioca flour with water and add to the pot. Mix well to combine. Lastly, add (optional) a handful of chopped cilantro.
Finally, serve in tacos, sandwiches, on salads or as is. Get creative!
What to serve with this dish
This instant pot shredded beef is great in tacos, salads, quesadillas, on pizza, in wraps, in sandwiches and even alone with melted cheese. My personal favorite is in a hoagie with melted cheese and using the sauce as a dip like a French Dip sandwich. Possibilities are pretty endless for this versatile recipe.
What is the serving size?
For the easiest tracking I have set this recipe as 1 oz. servings. That way you can adjust to as many servings as you use. Example, a small taco will use less meat than a sandwich or salad. The serving includes the juices which become hard in the fridge.
As I am typing this blog post I am having 6 oz. of instant pot shredded beef, 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend, chopped tomato and sweet heat jalapenos. Total meal is 285 calories 27 P / 17 F / 4 C. Let me know what creations your come up with using these beef in the comments.
If you like this recipe be sure to check out some of our other easy meals!
- Fried Spaghetti
- Cracked Out Tater Tot Casserole
- Big Mac Casserole
- Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff
- Cowboy Soup
Instant Pot Shredded Beef
📱 MyFitnessPal & MacrosFirst App Users
You can find this recipe and many others on MyFitnessPal and MacrosFirst by searching: Ohsnapmacros – Instant Pot Shredded Beef
- Pressure Cooker
- 3 lbs. boneless chuck roast
- 2 tbsp. olive oil split
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 handful cilantro chopped (optional)
- Turn the instant pot on sauté. Trim the fat off your beef and cut into 2 inch chunks and place in a bowl. Add 1 tbsp. of olive oil, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, chili powder and lime juice to the bowl and mix together well to combine.
- Add the second 1 tbsp. olive oil to the instant pot and sauté the beef on all sides until slightly browned but not cooked.
- Add the beef broth to the pot, cover with the lid and seal the release valve. Pressure cook for 30 minutes.
- Let the beef slow release for 20 minutes before quick releasing. Once done you can either shred the beef directly in the pot or remove the beef with a slotted spoon, shred and return.
- To slightly thicken the sauce mix the tapioca flour with water and add to the pot. Mix well to combine. Lastly, add (optional) a handful of chopped cilantro.
- Serve in tacos, sandwiches, on salads or as is.