Why you’ll love this recipe
- This recipe is super quick to put together while still packing a ton of flavor.
- Add your favorite veggies, protein and twists to this salad.
- Great for meal prep, cook outs or for any gathering.
- This salad uses fresh veggies, herbs and pantry staples.
High protein pasta salad is a dish that combines the goodness of chickpea pasta, and fresh vegetables mixed together with a delicious and easy dressing. Pair this with additional protein for the perfect meal.
What is High Protein Pasta Salad?
As the name suggests, high protein pasta salad is a type of salad that contains pasta and high protein ingredients. The chickpea pasta provides a source of carbohydrates while also being high in protein! Load this salad up with even higher protein by including chicken, turkey, beef, tofu, beans, nuts, and seeds. The protein helps to keep you feeling full and satisfied for longer periods, and also helps to build and repair muscle tissue.
Why is High Protein Pasta Salad a Great Meal Option?
High protein pasta salad is a great meal option for a number of reasons. First, it’s a convenient and easy-to-prepare meal that can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for several days. This makes it an excellent option for meal prep, which can save you time and money.
STay in the know!
NEVER MISS A RECIPESign up for free and be the first to get notified about updates.
Second, high protein pasta salad is a versatile dish that can be customized to suit your taste preferences and dietary needs. You can use any type of pasta you like, such as whole wheat, gluten-free, or even vegetable-based pasta. You can also add a variety of high protein ingredients to the salad, depending on what you have on hand or what you prefer.
Third, high protein pasta salad is a nutrient-dense meal that provides a range of vitamins, minerals, and other beneficial nutrients. Depending on the ingredients you use, you can get a range of nutrients, such as iron, calcium, fiber, and healthy fats.
How much protein does high protein pasta salad contain?
The amount of protein in high protein pasta salad will depend on the ingredients you use for example if you swap out the noodles for others and if you top this with chicken, beef, or other meat. However, a serving of high protein pasta salad as written contains 11 grams of protein. This is higher than your typical pasta salad while also significantly lower in carbs, fat and calories.
Can I add additional protein?
You bet!! Top this recipe with grilled chicken or one of my most popular recipes, Air Fryer Blackened Chicken. You could also add black beans, chickpeas, lentils or even hard boiled eggs!
Is this gluten and dairy free?
This recipe is gluten free as written. To make this dairy free omit the feta cheese or replace with a dairy free alternative like this one from Violife which is as close as it gets to the real deal in my opinion.
Ingredients and Substitutes:
These are the main ingredients and substitutions. See recipe card below for full ingredients list and instructions for this high protein pasta salad recipe .
Chickpea Pasta: this recipe is high in protein due to the use of chickpea pasta which is much higher than typical noodles. You can use any other type of noodle but note the protein may lower.
Vegetables: in this salad, we’re usnig bell peppers, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, red onions, olives and fresh herbs. You can substitute with whatever vegetables you have on hand.
Feta Cheese: this recipe uses fat free feta cheese, you can use full fat or mozzarella balls as well.
Exta-Virgin Olive Oil: the olive oil in the dressing truly makes a pasta salad a pasta salad. It keeps it from drying out and helps all the flavors combine to the ingredients.
Red Vine Vinegar: you can also use balsamic, start with 2 tbsp. and add more as needed.
Dijon Mustard: go all out with Grey Poupon or just your standard container of dijon. This adds a ton of flavor to the dressing along with the garlic.
How to make this high protein pasta salad:
Cook the noodles
Cook the noodles according to the package instructions. When it comes to chickpea pasta I error on the lesser of the time frame given on the box. Overcooked chickpea pasta crumbles easily and can get mushy.
Prepare the dressing
Combine the olive, red wine vinegar, dijon, garlic, salt and pepper in a container and whisk together well to combine. Set aside.
Make your salad
Once the noodles are cooked and drained, rinse with cold water and add to a large mixing bowl. Add the chopped vegetables, herbs, cheese, and dressing. Mix to combine everything thoroughly. Store in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving to let the flavors develop.
This recipe makes a total of 6 servings weighing approximately 175 grams each. To add extra protein mix with grilled chicken or your favorite source of protein or see notes above for other add in ideas.
If you like this recipe be sure to check out some of our other easy recipes!
High Protein Pasta Salad
📱 MyFitnessPal & MacrosFirst App Users
You can find this recipe and many others on MyFitnessPal and MacrosFirst by searching: Ohsnapmacros – High Protein Pasta Salad
- 8 oz. Chickpea Rotini pasta Banza
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped 110g
- 1/2 English cucumber, chopped 135g
- 1.5 cups brocolli florets, finely chopped 125g
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped 145g
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1.5 oz. fat free feta cheese, crumbled
- 2.25 oz. can of sliced black olives drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil 50g
- 4 tbsp. red wine vinegar 50g
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the noodles according to the package instructions. When it comes to chickpea pasta I error on the lesser of the time frame given on the box. Overcooked chickpea pasta crumbles easily and can get mushy.
- Combine the olive, red wine vinegar, dijon, garlic, salt and pepper in a container and whisk together well to combine. Set aside.
- Once the noodles are cooked and drained, rinse with cold water and add to a large mixing bowl. Add the chopped vegetables, herbs, cheese, and dressing. Mix to combine everything thoroughly. Store in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving to let the flavors develop. Season with salt and pepper to taste.