Pumpkin French Toast Casserole
This French toast bake is the perfect brunch recipe for pumpkin lovers. Filled with warm spices and a perfect pumpkin flavor, breakfast doesn’t get much better than this. Made with egg whites, pumpkin pie spice, and a brown sugar streusel topping, this is guaranteed to make the whole family happy.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- 240 calories per serving.
- 11g of protein and 4g of fat.
- An easy, make-ahead recipe, perfect for the holidays and family gatherings.
Ingredients and Substitutions:
These are the main ingredients and substitions for this pumpkin french toast casserole. See the full recipe card below with instructions.
- Bread: any kind of bread: challah bread, French bread, any day-old bread.
- Egg Whites: double the amount of egg whites to double the protein. Baking time will lengthen.
- Pure Pumpkin Puree not pumpkin pie filling!
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: Store-bought or make your own pumpkin spice with a combination of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, ground allspice and ground cloves.
- Light Brown Sugar: dark brown or sugar substitute.
- Old Fashioned Oats: or quick cooking oats.
- For the frosting: powdered sugar, protein powder, milk
- To make this gluten-free use a gluten-free bread and ensure oats for topping are gluten free.
- For dairy-free substitute butter for coconut oil to the topping. Use a DF protein powder and milk for the frosting.
How to make this pumpkin spice breakfast casserole
Step 1: preheat & Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prep a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish with a lot of nonstick spray. The more the merrier so that it doesn’t stick.
Step 2: prep the bread
Cut the bread into bite-size bread cubes, leaving the crusts on, and place along the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
Step 3: egg mixture
In a medium bowl whisk eggs, vanilla, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. Whisk until combined. Add pumpkin puree and whisk until fully combined. Pour on top of the bread.
Step 4: crumble topping
Add oats, butter and brown sugar to a small bowl. Microwave until the butter has melted, approximately 30-60 seconds, and mix together. It will be chunky. Evenly sprinkle on top of the casserole.
Step 5: bake
Bake the pumpkin French toast casserole at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Broil the top until golden brown, if needed.
Step 6: serve & Enjoy
Cut into 8 individual slices and serve. Top with a protein frosting, maple syrup, and a side of sausage and enjoy!
- Do the prep work ahead of time! The best way is to assemble everything expect the crumb topping and cover with aluminum foil. Place in the fridge overnight. The next morning or when ready to bake: preheat the oven and sprinkle the crumble topping over top. Bake the casserole, covered with foil, for about 35 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for about 10-20 minutes until baked through.
Serving and storing notes
Top this pumpkin French toast casserole with maple syrup, powdered sugar, protein frosting (see above) or fresh fruit. Pair with Blueberry Breakfast Sausage or fruit.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven on low or in the microwave.
If you like this casserole be sure to check out some of our other easy breakfasts!
- Cinnamon Roll French Toast Egg Bake
- Blueberry Stuffed French Toast Egg Bake
- Blueberry Breakfast Sausage
- Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes
Pumpkin French Toast Casserole
📱 MyFitnessPal & MacrosFirst App Users
You can find this recipe and many others on MyFitnessPal and MacrosFirst by searching: Ohsnapmacros – Pumpkin French Toast Casserole
- 10 pieces Dave’s Killer White Bread Done Right
- 16 oz. Liquid Egg Whites
- 1 cup 260g Pumpkin Puree
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 2 Tbsp. Light Brown Sugar +1 Tbsp. if you like it extra sweet
- 1/2 cup 40g Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 Tbsp. Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prep a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with a lot of nonstick spray. The more the merrier so that it doesn't stick.
- Cut the bread into bite size pieces, leaving the crusts on, and place along the bottom of the baking dish.
- Combine eggs, vanilla, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice in a bowl. Whisk together to combine. Add pumpkin puree and whisk until fully combined. Pour on top of the bread.
- Add oats, butter and brown sugar to a small bowl. Microwave until the butter has melted, approximately 30-60 seconds, and mix together. It will be chunky. Evenly sprinkle on top of the casserole.
- Bake the pumpkin French toast casserole at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Broil the top if needed.
- Cut into 8 equal squares and serve. Top with protein frosting, maple syrup and a side of sausage and enjoy!