Instant Pot Shredded Beef
This instant pot shredded beef is easy, flavorful and extremely versatile. You only need beef, broth and seasonings to have this ready on a bust weeknight. Serve in tacos, on salads, in quesadillas or in a sandwich and use the sauce as a delicious dip.
Why you'll love this recipe:
- This instant pot shredded beef uses minimal ingredients and pantry staples.
- It reheats well and makes for a great meal prep recipe during the week in all different dishes.
- Bother kids and adults love this recipe!
- You can add to tacos on Tuesday, salads for lunch and sandwiches later in the week.
- This recipe makes a ton of servings.
What instant pot do you use?
I have the Instant Pot 6qt Duo Pressure Cooker. I have honestly never used any other setting than “pressure cook.” We make all sorts of things in our Instant Pot like Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff and Macro Friendly Chili. We have had this instant pot for years without any issues and I would suggest it for this instant pot shredded beef recipe.
What if I don't have a instant pot?
This recipe is specifically written for the instant pot and has not been tested crockpot or stove top. I would suggest following the same ingredients for the crockpot and cooking on low to 6-8 hours until the beef shreds easily with forks.
What cut of beef should I use for this recipe?
I would definitely suggest chuck roast. You can find it at your local grocery store in large quantities. For this instant pot shredded beef recipe I am using a 3 lbs. roast with the fat trimmed.
Is this good for meal prep?
Great for meal prep! The meat reheats well and is great in tacos, salads, quesadillas, sandwiches or just alone with some added cheese. Prep this instant pot shredded beef and you’ll have protein to use all week.
Can you make this recipe dairy free and gluten free?
This recipe is gluten and dairy free!
Ingredients and Substitutes:
These are the main ingredients and substitutions. See recipe card below for full ingredients list and instructions for Instant Pot Shredded Beef.
Chuck Roast: this recipe uses a 3 pound boneless chuck roast with the fat trimmed. I do not do anything fancy with the fat I just remove any large chunks.
Beef Broth: for this recipe you’ll need one cup of beef broth. I prefer low sodium.
Tapioca Flour: to thicken the sauce a smidge I am using tapioca flour at the very end mixed with water. You can use cornstarch or your favorite thickener.
Lime: you’ll need the juice of one full lime. Roll the uncut lime on the counter with your hand to help loosen the juice for squeezing.
Cilantro: this is completely optional but I like adding a handful of chopped cilantro to the shredded beef after cooking.
Olive Oil: you can use any oil for this recipe. The oil helps sear the meat prior to cooking.
How to make this Instant Pot Shredded Beef
Turn the instant pot on saute. Trim the fat off your beef and cut into 2 inch chunks and place in a bowl. Add 1 tbsp. of olive oil, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, chili powder and lime juice to the bowl and mix together well to combine.
Add the second 1 tbsp. olive oil to the instant pot and sauté the beef on all sides until slightly browned but not cooked.
Add the beef broth to the pot, cover with the lid and seal the release valve. Pressure cook for 30 minutes.
Let the beef slow release for 20 minutes before quick releasing. Once done you can either shred the beef directly in the pot or remove the beef with a slotted spoon, shred and return.
To slightly thicken the sauce mix the tapioca flour with water and add to the pot. Mix well to combine. Lastly, add (optional) a handful of chopped cilantro.
Serve in tacos, sandwiches, on salads or as is.
What to serve with this dish
This instant pot shredded beef is great in tacos, salads, quesadillas, on pizza, in wraps, in sandwiches and even alone with melted cheese. My personal favorite is in a hoagie with melted cheese and using the sauce as a dip like a French Dip sandwich. Possibilities are pretty endless for this versatile recipe.
What is the serving size?
For the easiest tracking I have set this recipe as 1 oz. servings. That way you can adjust to as many servings as you use. Example, a small taco will use less meat than a sandwich or salad. The serving includes the juices which become hard in the fridge.
As I am typing this blog post I am having 6 oz. of instant pot shredded beef, 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend, chopped tomato and sweet heat jalapenos. Total meal is 285 calories 27 P / 17 F / 4 C. Let me know what creations your come up with using these beef in the comments.
If you like this recipe be sure to check out some of our other easy meals!
~ 1 oz. servings
“ohsnapmacros Instant Pot Shredded Beef“
Instant Pot Shredded Beef
- Pressure Cooker
- 3 lbs. boneless chuck roast
- 2 tbsp. olive oil split
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 handful cilantro chopped (optional)
- Turn the instant pot on sauté. Trim the fat off your beef and cut into 2 inch chunks and place in a bowl. Add 1 tbsp. of olive oil, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, chili powder and lime juice to the bowl and mix together well to combine.
- Add the second 1 tbsp. olive oil to the instant pot and sauté the beef on all sides until slightly browned but not cooked.
- Add the beef broth to the pot, cover with the lid and seal the release valve. Pressure cook for 30 minutes.
- Let the beef slow release for 20 minutes before quick releasing. Once done you can either shred the beef directly in the pot or remove the beef with a slotted spoon, shred and return.
- To slightly thicken the sauce mix the tapioca flour with water and add to the pot. Mix well to combine. Lastly, add (optional) a handful of chopped cilantro.
- Serve in tacos, sandwiches, on salads or as is.