Why you’ll love this recipe
- This delicious southwest crock pot chicken is an easy prep, with just a few simple ingredients.
- Use leftover chicken to make this crock pot recipe even easier.
- Easily make this recipe dairy and gluten free by simply eliminating the cream cheese.
- Throw in your favorite salsa, store-bought southwestern seasoning or your favorite fresh veggies to make it your own.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, tortilla chips, or over white rice.
A great way to meal prep
My favorite thing about this delicious chicken recipe is that it can be so many different meals. Serve it over cooked rice, in taco shells with refried beans, in a wrap, on buns with melted cheddar cheese, in a salad, with cauliflower rice, in a baked potato or sweet potato.
Season your chicken with your favorite taco seasoning before topping with beans and other ingredients. This will add intense southwest flavors to the dish. I like to use this taco seasoning combination from my Taco Tuesday Flank Steak recipe. It’s easy, delicious and has no added sugar. I also like Siete taco seasonings, I would reccomend half a pack for this southwest chicken crockpot.
Ingredients and Substitutes:
These are the main ingredients and substitutions. See recipe card below for full ingredients list and instructions for Southwest Chicken Crockpot.
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: you can substitute chicken thighs for chicken breast. They will add a ton of delicious fat and flavor.
Black Beans: any and all beans will work. Be sure to rinse and drain prior to adding to the crockpot.
Corn: drain the corn prior to adding to the crockpot. If you want to lower the carbs omit entirely or use half a can.
Rotel: I love a good Rotel moment. It adds so much flavor to any dish. You could substitute with diced tomatoes and green chilies.
Cream Cheese: I like adding cream cheese to make this dish creamy at the end. It gives it a nice twist from the typical southwest bowls. You can use full fat, less fat or even greek yogurt. Definitely give the creamy addition a try in this southwest chicken crockpot.
How to make this southwest chicken crockpot:
Add chicken to the bottom of a crockpot. Season with salt, pepper and juice of half a lime.
Top the chicken with beans, corn, rotel and salsa. Cover and set on low for 4.5 hours or high for 2.
When the chicken is fully cooked shred inside the crockpot with a fork and mix together well. Chicken should shred easily.
Optional: add 2 oz. cream cheese directly to the crockpot and mix together until the cream cheese is fully melted and combined with the chicken.
Nutrition Facts w/out cream cheese: 159 calories: 22 P / 18 C / 1 F
Nutrition Facts w/ cream cheese: 176 calories: 23 P / 19 C / 3 F
Serving size remains the same.
How to serve
While you could enjoy this southwest chicken crockpot on it’s own as a protein packed meal or snack I would suggest trying it:
- Over rice
- In tacos
- In a wrap
- On buns with melted cheese
- In a salad
- In a baked potato or sweet potato
- Or simply by itself!
If you like this recipe be sure to check out some of our other easy meals!
- Chicken Pesto Sliders
- Italian Sliders
- Banana Pudding Dip
- Air Fryer Beef Taquitos
- Blackened Chicken Tacos
Southwest Chicken Crockpot
📱 MyFitnessPal & MacrosFirst App Users
You can find this recipe and many others on MyFitnessPal and MacrosFirst by searching: Ohsnapmacros – Southwest Chicken Crockpot
- Pressure Cooker
- 1 lbs. chicken breast, raw
- 1 can black beans (15oz.), drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn (15oz.), drained
- 1 can (10oz) Rotel® Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Juice of half a lime
- Optional: 2 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- Add chicken to the bottom of a crockpot. Season with salt, pepper and juice of half a lime.
- Top the chicken with beans, corn, rotel and salsa. Cover and set on low for 4.5 hours or high for 2.
- When the chicken is fully cooked shred inside the crockpot with a fork and mix together well. Chicken should shred easily.
- Optional: add 2 oz. cream cheese directly to the crockpot and mix together until the cream cheese is fully melted and combined with the chicken.Nutrition Facts w/out cream cheese: 159 calories: 22 P / 18 C / 1 F Nutrition Facts w/ cream cheese: 176 calories: 23 P / 19 C / 3 F Serving size remains the same.
- Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary with substitutions.
- You will have excess sauce. That has been taken into account.