Chocolate protein smoothie
With a creamy texture and rich chocolate flavor, this healthy chocolate protein smoothie tastes like a chocolate milkshake. At 42g of protein, this smoothie is a great way to increase your protein intake and stay full and energized for hours.
Part classic protein shake and part smoothie, this sweet treat is one of my favorite ways to get in quick and easy protein. Made with wholesome ingredients like Greek yogurt, protein powder, almond milk, honey, and cocoa powder, this delicious protein shake comes together in less than 5 minutes and can be enjoyed as a healthy snack, meal replacement or dessert.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- An easy 42 grams of protein!
- Minimal ingredients and ready in minutes.
- Chocolatey and delicious.
Notes on protein powder
I used PEScience Chocolate Truffle for this smoothie and I cannot recommend it enough. Use code OHSNAP to save. Already have a favorite protein powder? Use what you love – the protein powder you use makes a huge difference in taste and texture.
Chocolate protein smoothie ingredients
These are the main ingredients for the chocolate protein smoothie. See the recipe card below for the full ingredients list and instructions.
Variations and Substitutions
- For a thicker smoothie: add ¼ cup frozen avocado or 1/2 a frozen banana.
- For healthy fats: add natural peanut butter, almond butter, chia seeds or hemp seeds.
- Use full-fat greek yogurt or vanilla-flavored yogurt.
- Use regular milk or any non-dairy milk.
- Use maple syrup in place of honey.
- Add spinach or frozen fruit.
How to make this chocolate protein smoothie (a step-by-step visual guide):
Step 1: add to a blender
Add the protein powder, greek yogurt, cocoa powder and honey to a high-speed blender (image 1).
Pour in the almond milk (image 2).
Step 2: blend and serve
Blend until completely smooth and no chunks remain (image 3).
Pour and serve with your favorite toppings (image 4).
While this is terrific on it’s own toppings make all the difference. Top with whipped cream, chocolate syrup, shaved chocolate or mini chocolate chips. This is also delicious with some added crushed oreos similar to the cookies and cream shake.
If you like this smoothie check out these other easy recipes!
- Thai Curry Pizza Recipe
- Fudgesicle Recipe
- Chewy Chocolate Protein Granola Bars
- Macro Friendly Desserts
Chocolate Protein Smoothie
📱 MyFitnessPal & MacrosFirst App Users
You can find this recipe and many others on MyFitnessPal and MacrosFirst by searching: Ohsnapmacros – Chocolate Protein Smoothie
- 3/4 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder PEScience
- 1 1/2 tsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. honey
- chocolate chips or shaved chocolate
- whipped cream
- chocolate syrup
- Mix everything together in high-speed blender.
- Pour in a glass and top with desired toppings.
- Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary with substitutions.
Photos by Marie-Catherine Dube