Easy Instant Pot Turkey Chili
The best turkey chili recipe is here! This hearty meal is made with ground turkey, beans, veggies, and a touch of fat-free half-and-half to make it soft and creamy. Totally customizable, it’s a great recipe to bring to parties and the instant pot makes this healthy chili recipe the perfect meal for busy families. Grab your spoon and the biggest bowl you can find, you’re going to want it!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This Easy Instant Pot Turkey Chili Recipe is low in calories and high in protein.
- A large serving size makes it perfect for parties and big families.
- Meal prep dream with tons of leftovers.
- Loaded with high-fiber beans and veggies.
- Add in your favorite toppings to make it uniquely yours!
Why cook chili in the instant pot?
I have lots of kitchen gadgets but one of my most favorite is my instant pot. I have the Instant Pot 6qt Duo Pressure Cooker and use it for this delicious chili because it’s just SO EASY. It gives the instant pot turkey chili that slow simmered flavor in a fraction of the time. All you do is sauté a few ingredients in the pot, toss in the rest of the ingredients, close the lid and go about your merry way. Some of our other family favorites in the Instant Pot are Macro Friendly Chili and Instant Pot Chicken Spaghetti.
How to make this turkey chili without an instant pot
STOVETOP: In a large soup pot or Dutch oven brown the turkey and season with seasonings. Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 30-40 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together. Remove the lid and add the arrowroot/half-and-half blend and stir to combine. Simmer until the chili has thickened and reached your desired consistency.
CROCKPOT: Pre-cook the turkey on the stove and season with seasonings. Add to the crockpot. Add all the remaining ingredients, stir and cover with the lid. Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours. 30 minutes prior to serving remove the lid and add the arrowroot/half-and-half blend and stir to combine. Let the chili continue to cook on the LOW setting for the remaining 30 minutes, or until it has thickened to a creamy consistency.
Make it your own
The instant pot turkey chili is one of my favorite recipes because it is totally customizable. Sub out the ground turkey for ground beef or chicken. I used Great Northern beans because I love white beans, but feel free to omit or add red kidney beans, black beans or pinto beans. For the tomatoes, I used a can of Rotel Original Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilis for their flavor but any can of diced tomatoes is fine. For a little spice, I suggest adding 1 de-seeded jalapeño. Make it yours!
Is this recipe dairy and gluten-free?
The instant pot turkey chili is naturally gluten-free. To make dairy-free, simply omit the half-and-half or add full-fat coconut milk in it’s place to make it creamy.
These are the main ingredients Instant Pot Turkey Chili. See the recipe card below for the full ingredients list and instructions.
Variations and Substitutions
- Ground turkey, chicken or beef work great.
- Use pinto or black beans in place of white.
- Can use beef, vegetable or bone broth as well.
- Fat-Free Half and Half makes it creamy. You can substitute it with Greek yogurt or full-fat coconut milk.
- Can substitute arrowroot 1:1 with cornstarch.
How to make Instant Pot Turkey Chili
Step 1: brown the turkey
Turn on the Instant Pot to the sauté function. Add the olive oil, ground turkey, onion, and garlic (image 1).
Cook, breaking up the turkey with a spoon, until the turkey is browned and the onion is softened (image 2).
Step 2: add seasonings and mix ins
Add the cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and mix evenly into the turkey to coat (image 3).
Add the beans, rotel, green chilies, chicken broth and corn. Stir until well combined (image 4).
Step 3: pressure cook
Close the lid on the Instant Pot and set the valve to the sealing position. Select Manual or Pressure Cook and set the timer for 15 minutes. When the cooking cycle is complete, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure.
Step 5: make it creamy!
Open the lid and turn the Instant Pot back to the sauté mode. In a small bowl, whisk together the half and half and arrowroot powder. Stir the mixture into the chili (image 5). Cook the chili for an additional 3-5 minutes, stirring regularly, until it thickens to a creamy consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
My favorite way to serve this healthy turkey chili recipe is with a topping buffet. Believe me when I say, that the possibilities are limitless. Shredded cheddar cheese, chopped fresh cilantro, diced avocado, red onion, Greek yogurt, sour cream, lime wedges, tortilla chips and jalapeño slices are all amazing options.
Serving size and storing notes!
Chili gets better the next day as the flavors blend together. Keep any leftover turkey chili in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Re-heat over the stove on medium-low heat or the microwave. You can freeze the chili in freezer-safe containers and use it within 3 months.
The serving size for this chili is approximately 323 grams per serving. As always it is best to weigh your final dish and divide by the number of servings to ensure you have the most accurate serving size.
If you like this recipe be sure to check out some of our other healthy recipes!
- Instant Pot Chicken Spaghetti
- Instant Pot Fettuccine Alfredo
- Instant Pot Fried Rice
- Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff
Instant Pot Turkey Chili
📱 MyFitnessPal & MacrosFirst App Users
You can find this recipe and many others on MyFitnessPal and MacrosFirst by searching: Ohsnapmacros – Instant Pot Turkey Chili
- Instant Pot
- 2 lbs. lean ground turkey 99/1%
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained 15.5 oz. each
- 1 can chopped green chilis 4 oz.
- 1 can Rotel Original Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies 10 oz.
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregeno
- 1 tsp. salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup corn (frozen, fresh, or canned) 70g
- 1/2 cup fat-free half and half 105g
- 2 Tbsp. arrowroot powder cornstarch is fine too
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped fresh chives
- diced avocado
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- lime wedges
- hot sauce
- sliced jalapeño
- tortilla chips
- Turn on the Instant Pot to the sauté setting. Add the olive oil, ground turkey, onion, and garlic. Cook, breaking up the turkey with a spoon, until the turkey is browned and the onion is softened.
- Add the cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and mix evenly into the turkey to coat. Add the beans, rotel, green chilies, chicken broth amd corn. Stir until well combined.
- Close the lid on the Instant Pot and set the valve to the sealing position. Select Manual or Pressure Cook and set the timer for 15 minutes.
- When the cooking cycle is complete, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure. Open the lid and turn the Instant Pot back to the sauté mode.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the half and half and arrowroot powder. Stir the mixture into the chili. Cook the chili for an additional 3-5 minutes, stirring regularly, until it thickens to a creamy consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary and serve with your favorite toppings.
- Substitute ground turkey with ground chicken or beef.
- Use any desired beans.
- Add spices to taste.
- Add 1 de-seeded jalapeño for added heat.